“A good script is a combination of talent and technique as all the skills in the world cannot replace the brilliance of a creative mind.” The art of scriptwriting has changed by leaps and bounds, over the years in our country. In the older times, it was common to narrate a one-line script to an actor before he signed it and then expect him to improvise during the film but today, the scenario has changed.
Since screenwriters migrated from typewriters to computers, the idea finds an easier and more effective tool to pound words into. If you want to break into the film industry, then you need the best screenwriting software programs to take care of formatting and aid your writing process. Recently, I have completed Neil Gaiman MasterClass and learned how to write my own stories, and developed my internal thoughts and imaginations. Here I have listed some of the best Screen Writing software on the internet to help you out.
Best Screen Writing Software
Table Of Contents
The market of screenwriting software has boomed in the past seven years and modern screenplay software has evolved into more than simply rearranging margins! Rather, it has added a number of exclusive features including sophisticated revision tracking, advanced collaboration options, and tools that break down the script in terms of locations, characters, props, and more.
According to market statistics, the global screen and script writing software market size was valued at $80.83 million in 2018 and is projected to reach $235.87 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 14.4% from 2019 to 2026. The demand for screen and script writing software is increasing in the Asia-Pacific region due to the presence of major film studios and the increase in the number of production houses in the region. For instance, in 2018 online video revenue—which comprises net advertisement expenditure and subscription fees—was valued at $21 billion, and is expected to reach $48 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 18%.
Honestly, if you are a writer your main aim is to tell a story and not worry about how you are going to format and present it, and need to give more focus on the creative process and not the technicalities of script formatting guidelines and macros. So, using the best screenwriting software programs will tailor a solution to your writing scripts and save your time on rewrites and make the whole process of scriptwriting more fluid.
Traditional word processors are great for writing standard documents, and some of them even have features to help you outline and create your own formatting templates using macros, but there is no standard word processor that can handle the specific screenwriting requirements such as auto-pagination, auto-complete, and scene numbering, etc.
But with the right screenwriting software, you can automatically format screenplays and translate your ideas into complete scripts. Today, I am here with a top list of the best software for script writing based on ease of use, easy importing and exporting, formatting tools, and select the right one to start writing your screenplay.
Without any ado, let’s get started best scriptwriting software programs to keep your life paper-free and streamlined.
Screenwriting software is an extension of the modern word processor that ensures that your screenplay’s margins stick to the industry-standard screenplay format. Using the best screenwriting software, writers can easily put ideas straight into the page and create properly formatted scripts with layouts. Moreover, most software offers a collaboration tool where multiple writers share and work on the same project.
Plus a good screenwriting software is a great option for editing, formatting, or printing scripts and also helps you to eliminate the need for manual formatting to get your scripts in line with industry standards that can be easily readable by directors and producers. Basically, screenplays are submitted as PDFs and offer the option for easy import and export across various platforms and allows easy sharing and editing options. There is various screenwriting software available on the market, but how do choose the best? In this guide, I will help you to get the best screenwriting software programs to use.
Benefits Of Using Screenwriting Software:
Screenwriting software is extremely helpful for obtaining high-quality articles and stand out from people with formatted scripts, spellbinding storylines and leave your viewers seeking more. Here are some benefits of screenwriting software:
- Easy to set up: A screenwriting software program is very easy to install with simple user interface with better customer support in case of any error.
- Capability to automate script writing: With a script writing software you can create excellent creative writing without any need of formatting and you can come out with an ideal screenplay structure.
- Better title ideas: Using the best software for scriptwriting should be able to present you with at least a title concept or furthermore a content concept to work within the event you come in contact with the normal writer’s block.
- Outline help: Mostly it is equipped with a tale outline tool to finish and fill in the required structure of your story, script or even a novel.
- Word handling capability: For good scriptwriting software, you must consider software that can spell test, and format fonts together with possible ideas for page structure, and word count.
Choosing the right screenwriting software can be a bit difficult. But you must consider 3 essential things when choosing a screenwriting software program:
- Firstly, can the software play friendly with other screenplay formats?
- Secondly, does the screenwriting software actually hold to industry-standard pagination and formatting?
- Thirdly, does it really facilitate your creative process and is easy to use?
Good screenwriting software should facilitate your creative process in the most intuitive and easy way while also delivering a professionally formatted screenplay according to Hollywood’s longstanding industry standards. Here are 4 important features, you must consider before you choose:
- Seamless online collaboration: It must allow you to type with a partner on the same document in real-time (like Google Docs meets Final Draft). Plus, also permits to share ideas via text chat or video chat while you write together.
- Professional formating & pagination: This is a very important feature and WriterDuet does this in a proper manner. It allows you to write a script and save it as Final Draft format for seamless editing, while preserving all pagination and formatting.
- Import/export all major formats: It allows you to play in all major file types which includes Final Draft, Fountain and export PDF files for full editing while preserving formatting and page count!
- Automatic revision tracking: This is another very essential feauture of screenwriting.Now there is no need of saving countless versions of your script.You can easily track all the changes that you or your collaborator makes to your script and also go back to any draft date or time to see earlier versions of the script.
What Are The Best Screenwriting Software Programs?
Here, is my complete list of best screenwriting software programs to choose from in 2023:
- Best Screenwriting Software Programs For Mac: Scrivener
- Best Screenwriting Software Programs For Film And Television Production: Final Draft
- Best Screenwriting Software Programs For Video And Game Production: Celtx
- Best Screenwriting Software Programs For Professionals: Movie Magic Screenwriter
- Best Screenwriting Software Programs For Video Editing: WriterDuet
- Best Free Screenwriting Software Programs: Trelby
- Best Screenwriting Software Programs For Windows: Fade In
- Best Screenwriting Software Programs For Large Scale Companies: StudioBinder
- Best Screenwriting Software Programs For Beginners: KIT Scenarist
- Best Screenwriting Software Programs For Bloggers: Highland 2
Above, I have mentioned some crucial factors you must consider if you are a professional screenwriter or aspiring to become a screenwriter. In the next section, we will have a full discussion of the top screenwriting apps!
If you are a professional screenwriter, your ultimate goal is to produce a PDF for submission and easy sharing. Here are the top suggestions of the best software for writing screenplays that fully focuses on the different organizations to meet the diverse needs of various writers to deliver the same end result. Keep scrolling….!
Best Screenwriting Software Programs Of 2023:
Scrivener is more than just a word processor or a screenwriting program. In fact, it combines all the functionality of word processors such as Microsoft Word and Pages with that of screenwriting software such as Final Draft. It allows you to easily create complex scripts and storyboards, as well as work on several files with ease.
Scrivener is especially great for writers who are looking to work on several projects at once, for it allows you to organize all your files within an adaptive outline which can be changed and accessed in real-time. The program also comes with a built-in dictionary editor, note cards, customizable format options, and advanced export formats such as XML or HTML.
You can even import your old screenplays from other software and export them in a different format.
Scrivener is the go-to app for writers of all kinds, used every day by best-selling novelists, screenwriters, non-fiction writers, students, academics, lawyers, journalists, translators, and more. It is the best screenwriting software for macOS, and simply provides everything you need to start writing and keep writing.
Plus Scrivener works your way as it hammers out every last detail before typing a word, or carve out a draft and restructure later, And you can write a description based on a photograph, transcribe an interview, take notes about a PDF file or web page, and it will compile everything into a single document for printing, self-publishing, or exporting to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text.
- Familiar Text Editing: If you’ve ever used a word processor, you’ll feel right at home in Scrivener’s editor. Plus, you add bold, italics and all the other formatting you’d expect or highlight phrases that need work, add comments and annotations. You can make lists, or insert images and tables and by switching to page view, you can see the pages fill up as you type.
- Import: With this screenwriting tool, you can import all sorts of files into your Scrivener projects, including Word documents, plain text files, Final Draft scripts, images, PDF documents, movies, sound files and web pages.
- Templates and icons: It allows you to create templates that can be used as the basis for new sections in your project, such as character or location sheets for planning a novel. Plus you can assign custom icons to your templates (or to any section) to make them easier to pick out in the outline.
- Full-screen writing: It allows you to blank out the rest of the screen while you write. With one click, everything else fade in screenwriting software. Scrivener’s full-screen composition mode is fully customizable where its entire look depends up to you and make your writing space comfortable to get typing.
- Auto-save and backups: Scrivener automatically saves while you work, which means you don’t have to worry about to hit the save button. Plus, it can automatically back up your projects whenever they are opened or closed.
- Collections: With the collections feature, you can create lists of related documents from anywhere in your project. Plus, you can build smart lists that automatically show you documents that need more work, or scenes written from a particular point of view.
- It allows you to set word or character targets for your entire manuscript or for sections within it, or set a target for the current writing session
- Enables you to split Scrivener’s editor and have up to four different documents open in the same project window and view documents side by side
- Scrivener’s formatting features allow dealing with the formatting, leaving you free to focus on the action and allows you to print directly from Scrivener or export to industry-standard software such as Final Draft
- It allows you to switch instantly between editing your manuscript one section at a time and together as a whole and lets you put the pieces together as though they were all part of a single document
- Scrivener is the ideal tool for non-fiction writers and includes templates for writing general and academic non-fiction
- Easily import your files from numerous Word processors and extensions, including Microsoft Word docs, text files, PDFs, and more
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, and Linux
Scrivener comes in 3 different pricing for macOS, Windows, and iOS:
- Scrivener macOS version costs $49
- Scrivener Windows version costs $49
- Scrivener for iOS version(iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch) costs $ 19.99
Final Draft is first launched in 1987 by Dan Siegal and is one of the most popular screenwriting software on the market. The program allows you to create and review scripts while offering a wide range of tools that can help writers structure characters or scenes, as well as readjust line breaks for optimal viewing pleasure.
Final Draft is especially good at creating and exporting manuscripts in industry-standard formats such as XML, PDF, or HTML5 markup language. It also allows you to import scripts from other formats and export them in a variety of formats. It is the best screenwriting software programs for professional screenwriters and filmmakers around the world and offers exclusive content to help guide you on your screenwriting journey.
It is very simple and user-friendly, and it offers invaluable tools that can help improve your screenwriting skills, such as character formatting, transition tools, or storyboarding. It comes with an easy-to-use interface that does not bog the user down with too many cluttered buttons or windows. The program has been designed specifically for writers, so you can count on a smooth writing experience without crashes or bugs that could interfere with your creative flow.
So if you are looking for the best screenwriting software on the market, Final Draft might be exactly what you need to create professional-looking scripts. It has recently been released a new version of this software called Final Draft 10, which comes with better support for retina displays and improved spell checkers.
Final Draft Features:
- Enhanced beat board: It includes limitless space to organize your ideas in a customizable, visual way. Plus you can plan set pieces, store character research, and much more. Rather, your Beats can be anything such as plot points, character arcs, research, or location ideas, and connect beats using Flow Lines and send Beats directly to your script for easy access.
- New outline elements & outline editor: It easily transfer your Beat Board to the outline editor for high-level outlining. Plus you can send your outline to script using outline elements.And also use multiple lanes to organize your screenplay’s structure or show the Outline in your script for easy access.
- Scriptnotes: With this feature, you can add comments to your scripts as ideas or add ScriptNotes that appear as flags on the page for easy reference or click the flag to open and edit notes in a popover and new flags show how many notes per paragraph.
- Revision Mode: Final Draft is used by 95% of film, television and multimedia productions to get from page to screen. Plus you can mark and review all changes to take a script through production. Final Draft makes it easy to set your revision colors, lock pages, and omit scenes. It also protects your script with customizable watermarks on PDFs and printed pages.
- Tags Mode: Final Draft helps you to create custom reports on any element of your script plus dig into your script by tracking customizable story elements and character traits and also break your script down for budgeting and scheduling.
- Automatically format and paginate to industry standards and meet page count requirements using Final Draft 12 custom formatting tools.
- Final Draft templates come with industry-standard title pages that are easy to modify, save, and print or save to PDF
- Collaborate simultaneously with your writing partners in real-time on both the script and the Beat Board
- Supports over 97 languages and allows users to add their own fonts to type in additional languages
- Speech to Script feature allows you to write your screenplay without ever touching a keyboard
- Allows you to insert images on title pages, in the script, or even in the Beat Board to help visualize your story
- With the use of alternate dialogue, you can store as many different versions of lines as you can imagine
- Final Draft paginates your script to entertainment industry formats and best choice for screenwriting
- Includes over 300 templates for screenplays, teleplays, comics, immersive storytelling, graphic novels, and stage plays
- Allows you to write using Windows, Mac, or in the Final Draft Mobile app for iPhone & iPad
Final Draft Pricing:
Final Draft offers a 30-day free trial and most used screenwriting software programs.
- Final Draft costs $249.99 and right for Screenwriters, Filmmakers, Producers
- Final Draft Upgrade 12 costs $99.99
- Final Draft Educational License costs $129.99 is right for students, college-level educators
Celtx is among the most popular open-source screenwriting software available on the market. Some call it “open source Final Draft”, and this might be partially true, given that it offers many of the same features as Final Draft. However, Celtx has managed to distinguish itself from other similar programs by improving some features and adding some extra ones, like character charts, color coding, and the option to import images.
Another advantage of Celtx is that it can be used on a variety of platforms, including Windows 7 or 8, Windows XP, Vista, or Linux. You just need to download the program from their website for free. So if you are looking for an open-source alternative to Final Draft, Celtx might be exactly what you are looking for. But keep in mind that it is still in the process of being developed and updated regularly by a young team, so bugs or other unexpected problems could occur.
From concept to the camera, the Celtx Studio’s connected workflow ensures that every member of the production team stays engaged, organized, and informed. Celtx is completely a cloud-based software that helps you to create better content quickly and turn simple ideas into innovative plans.
It is the best screenwriting software programs for playwrights as novelists to stay organized and accelerate their creativity. Celtx Screenwriting integrates with other pre-production tools such as call sheets, storyboards, shot lists, and a scheduling solution and also allows collaboration and an affordable alternative to Final Draft.
- Built for collaboration: It allows multiple users to work simultaneously in multiple documents, including real-time collaborative script editing.
- Scriptwriting: Celtex is one of the best screenwriting software programs with industry-standard script editors for film & TV, short-form video, theatre, and interactive narratives backed up by a plethora of story development tools.
- Scheduling: With this feature, you can create shooting schedules using auto-populated stripboards. Plus, you can organize shooting dates and locations to make the most of each minute on set.
- Call sheets: Celtx allows you to craft and distribute industry-standard call sheets. The automatic data population lets you quickly and easily apply changes and re-distribute to cast and crew.
- Budget: Now you can easily manage production expenses, generate cost reports, and track actuals against estimates using industry-standard or specialized AICP budget templates.
- Provides shortcuts: It provides you shortcuts without cutiing corners. From the first idea to the final call sheet, our fully-featured modules will guide your team through the production process with the most comprehensive and flexible toolset available.
- Celtx is a great and consistent screenwriting software and allows users can easily save their scripts in progress and share and save them to their computer
- It is the best free screenwriting software that covers standard formats like character names, scene headings, action lines, watermarks,s and many more
- Easily highlights words, a story to the screenplay, props list, storyboard, convert into PDF format, add your comments to share with your friends
- Celtx sets the benchmark for collaborative production workflows for professional teams who work in film & television, marketing agencies & in-house teams, and video game production
- It helps keep your scenes and characters organized and automatically formats proper scripts for you
- A very simple and streamlined way to write out a screenplay with correct formatting and easy navigation
Celtx comes with 3 pricing plans which include 2 video plans and 1 game plan:
- Scriptwriting plan costs $10/mo payable annually
- Video Production plan costs $15 payable annually
- Game Production plan costs $15/mo payable annually
Plus, you can get 50% off for your first 3 months
Movie Magic Screenwriter is another excellent option if you are looking for user-friendly, fully-featured screenwriting software. It has been developed by Avid, which is an industry leader when it comes to audio and video production, so you can expect the quality of this screenwriting program to be outstanding. Movie Magic Screenwriter offers many of the same features as other top-rated screenwriting software, such as multiple revisions or spell checker tools, and also offers some extra features, like script notes or an integrated media player.
The software has an elegant interface and is easy to use even for people who have never created scripts before. It also comes with a variety of templates that can help you get started quickly. So if you are looking for a tried and tested screenwriting program that can help you write your script professionally, Movie Magic Screenwriter might be exactly what you need.
With a massive set of features designed to make the writing process simple, you can get from fade in to fade out quickly and easily. With the integrated outlining, it has the ability to compare drafts of screenplays and the most comprehensive production features of any screenwriting software with a clear choice for getting your stories from concept to screen. It is one of the best screenwriting software programs for stage plays, and used by many Hollywood movies and also for the education sector for various research paper writing.
Movie Magic Screenwriter Features:
- Full-featured outlining: Movie Magic Screenwriter’s outlining feature is completely customizable, including font and color controls. Plus, you can create multi-depth outlines and customize them on the fly, or you may show or hide the outline elements in the NaviDoc , show or hide outline types by group or individual topics.
- Customizable document windows: This screenwriter has lots of tools available for writers to use, the view is completely designable. The document view can be anything from a blank window without any icons or rulers all the way to having a full set of toolbars, icons, and other tools designed to make a writer’s life easier.
- Ease of use: Movie Magic Screenwriter is very simple, straight-forward, and lacks some of the annoying stylist design issues. For example, Final Draft always assumes dialog is between the same two characters. Screenwriter let’s you do the same thing by pressing SHIFT-TAB instead of the default TAB for character names.
- Note Categories: Movie Magic Screenwriting let you lets you create multiple note categories, each with its on text and background color. This allows writers to create different types of notes for different purposes and also allows a reader or consultant to create their own note type, e.g. Chris’ Rewrite Suggestions, and then drop them directly in place in the script for the author to review later.
- Complete production script feature set: This software program is specially designed by a working script supervisor and has the most comprehensive and flexible set of features available in any script word processor, for both film and television. And includes tagging, kept pages and scenes, breakdown sheets, revision controls, production lists, one-liners, and more, plus these features are built in to the software itself.
- NaviDoc: With the NaviDoc lets you navigate through your document by using four different methods such as Outline, Scenes, Notes, and Bookmarks. Plus, it also lets you see as many lines of an element as you want, not just the first line or scene heading of a scene for example, this gives you the option to use the NaviDoc like index cards if they prefer, while still viewing the script.
- Award-winning software for writing screenplays, stage plays, teleplays, musicals, comic books, novels, short stories, and more
- Very easy to use and acts as very professional and powerful with free technical support, free phone support, free web support
- Includes fully editable Index Card view so you can jot down story notes and ideas for your screenplay
- Easily track all revisions from spec to final shoot script and generate set lists and rundown sheets
- Import Text Feature lets you import screenplays already written in Microsoft Word or any other word processor
- Easily export or e-mail your script into many other formats (including PDFs) so others can read your screenplay
- With the Text-to-Speech engines, you can “hear” your character’s voice through your computer speakers
- Allows you to create a Script Outline with Acts, Sequences, Scenes, or you create your own outline to follow the style of your script or screenplay
Movie Magic Screenwriter Pricing:
Movie Magic Screenwriter comes with multiple pricing plans:
- Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 starts at $149.95
- Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 Upgrade starts at $89.95
- Movie Magic Screenwriter 6.5 Upgrade starts at $69.95
(All of these have 3 activation options per purchase)
- Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 Academic starts at $49
(The academic version has 2 activation options per purchase)
WriterDuet is an amazing screenwriting app for remote writing and is an excellent software that offers seamless real-time collaboration. It is a full-featured writing platform with robust outlining and production features and allows multiple users to work at the same time. WriterDuet is a cloud-based program that helps you to write from anywhere and any device with auto-sync, mobile apps, and also an online-offline desktop app. Plus WriterDuet also offers intuitive commenting features and in-app text and video chat to streamline feedback and co-writing.
With WriterDuet, you can format effortlessly, customize your workflow, create custom templates, and lock pages or save revision drafts with one click so that you can spend more time writing. It is the best screenwriting software for professional writers and is also used for education purposes.
- WriterDuet allows you to write with standard formats, production tools, backups, and import/export other filetypes
- With the outlining feature, you can brainstorm, organize and create mind maps and index cards within your project
- WriterDuet is a cloud-based software on any device with online-offline web, mobile, and desktop apps
- Easily allow you to back-up copies to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud and supports mobile devices and multiple browsers
- WriterDuet is an intuitive and user-friendly software that allows you to track all your edits
- Other features include features like real-time co-writing, intuitive commenting, in-app text and video chat, sketch groups, and anybody who has a process built around co-writing and feedback
- It is the most user-friendly software available for everyone which is great for real-time collaboration among screenplay writers and editors
- WriterDuet has a composition that makes it very simple and easy to understand when working with the program and the interface is too fast that facilitates everything
- The best thing about WriterDuet is that you can write anywhere on any computer if you use their server if you want to
- It is a fantastic screenwriting software for quick and easy writing without having to worry so much about the app itself
- Offers free storage, the ability to share with collaborators, and also the ability to export sides
WriterDuet offers 3 subscription plans:
- Plus Plan costs $5.99/mo billed annually
- Pro Plan costs $7.99/mo billed annually
- Premium Plan costs $9.99/mo billed annually
Trelby is a free open-source screenwriting software program and was previously named Blyte in 2003. It is the best screenwriting software for beginners and comes with a user-friendly and customizable interface and automatic formatting and absolutely free to use. With this screenplay editor, you can automatically format all typed text into the correct script format and offers auto-complete and spell-check functions.
Trelby includes various extra features which include an international character name generator, reports (scene, location, character, dialogue, etc.), version tracking, and screenplay importing options from Final Draft, Celtx, Fountain, Adobe Story, and Fade In. Plus, this screenwriter comes with a built-in highly configurable PDF generator and allows you to export in various file formats. The best part is, it is free to use and easily operates on both Windows and Mac platforms. Trelby is entirely free of cost and best suited for demonstrations or any kind of educational purposes.
- Multiplatform: This software behaves identically on all platforms, generating the exact same output.
- Screenplay editor: Trelby enforces correct script format and pagination, auto-completion, and spell checking.
- Choice of view: It includes multiple views, including draft view, WYSIWYG mode, and fullscreen to suit your writing style.
- Name database: The character name database contains over 200.000 names from various countries.
- Import: It includes Screenplay formatted text, Final Draft XML (.fdx), Celtx (.celtx), Fountain (.fountain), Adobe Story (.astx) and Fade In Pro (.fadein).
- PDF: Trelby includes built-in highly configurable PDF generator which supports embedding your chosen font and also supports generating PDFs with custom watermarks to help track shared files.
- Free software: Trelby is licensed under the GPL and welcomes developers and screenwriters to contribute in making it more useful.
- Trelby is simple, fast, and elegantly laid out to make screenwriting simple and infinitely configurable
- Free software and easy to download, install and run within minutes
- Works well and the format is really good and very inspiring to write
- Provides you with the ability to compare scripts, so you know what changed between versions
- Compatible with multiple platforms and comes with an extremely user-friendly and intuitive user-friendly interface
Trelby is a free open-source screenwriting app and it is entirely free to use and is currently available on Github
Fade In is the most advanced software used by professionals writing for motion pictures, television, video games, the stage, radio, and more. It helps to educate students and teachers about the craft of screenwriting. Moreover, it features support for multiple languages, tools for outlining, organizing, and navigating, plus extensive screenplay formatting and robust functionality for managing rewrites and revisions.
Fade In is highly compatible with multiple platforms like Mac, Windows, Android, Linux, and iOS. To write a screenplay or teleplay or a stage play you need proper screenwriting software and Fade In provides all the features for everything your screenplay needs, from start to finish. Plus, it can import a variety of popular screenwriting software formats, including Final Draft, Movie Magic Screenwriter, Scrivener, Adobe Story, and Celtx documents, as well as Rich Text Format and Open Screenplay Format XML. Fade In is used by top writers and directors such as Rian Johnson, Kelly Marcel, Rawson Marshall Thurber, Gary Whitta, and many more.
Fade In Features:
- Fully featured application interface: It features a universal, state-of-the-art application interface, and does everything professional screenwriters need and expect their software to do, and it does it on Mac, Windows, and Linux providing an optimal experience no matter what platform you use. Fade In Mobile is also available for iPhone, iPad, and Android.
- Extensive formatting capabilities: The software takes care of script formatting for you and automatically transitions from scene headings to action to dialogue as you type. It includes a full range of standard screenplay styles and you can use the built-in default styles, customize them, or create your own. Plus control all aspects of page layout and appearance, and even tweak individual line lengths with a single keypress.
- Collaboration: With Fade In’s real-time collaboration capabilities, you can work on the same screenplay at the same time with multiple collaborators, no matter where they are in the world. Unlike other software that only allows one person to actually work on a document at a time, Fade In allows collaborators to work independently, with changes being reflected in all collaborators.
- Image support: Fade In allows you to insert images directly into your document, whether on the title page or within a screenplay itself.
- Support for multiple file formats: In this screenwriting software, Importing and exporting multiple file formats is easy with support for everything from text to HTML to Open Screenplay Format XML. Plus opening, editing and saving Final Draft (.fdx) documents is a snap — as is importing (and exporting) Rich Text Format (.rtf) (such as from Movie Magic Screenwriter), opening older versions of Final Draft (.fdr), working with Fountain, and opening Scrivener, Adobe Story and Celtx files.
- Breakdowns, reports and tagging: It easily generate industry-standard script breakdowns and production reports. And the standard reports include scenes, cast, locations, and more. Plus, reports can be printed or saved as HTML or generic comma-separated values for import into other applications.
- Allows you to view, edit and print/PDF modified pages on colored “paper” in any one of multiple standard revision colors
- With the Navigator option you can quickly move around your script, reorder scenes, and created nested sequences
- With the software you can keep track of the character names and locations you use and can provide as-you-type autocompletion suggestions
- Fade In Mobile allows you to import your scripts from Fade In Professional Screenwriting Software, edit them on your device and export them without any content loss
- Fade In uses the Open Screenplay Format for saving your scripts, providing maximum accessibility, compatibility, and future-proofing
Fade In Pricing:
Fade In comes with a free version and the full, version costs $79.95. If there are any software updates that will be absolutely free.
StudioBinder screenwriting software is a web-based application that allows you to easily manage your screenwriting projects and organize your screenplay by breaking it down into manageable tasks. Studio Binder works on multiple browsers so there is no need to download any extra applications. This can be very useful in the future when trying to access Studio Binder on your desktop computer at home or even on a laptop when traveling.
With StudioBinder there is no need to worry about the software is incompatible with your computer’s operating system. IStudio Binder works on Mac, Windows, and Linux. With this screenwriting web app you to create and manage your project notes, structure them on the tree, write your screenplay using Fountain syntax (or Multicam), then export it in Final Draft or Avid format. Plus, you can collaborate on a project with other writers or just keep your projects private.
With this tool, you can write and produce your scripts all in one place and totally free. Plus, you can create script breakdowns, sides, schedules, storyboards, call sheets, and more. StudioBinder is trusted by world-renowned studios and agencies such as CBS Interactive, BuzzFeed, ESPN, Shopify, Cartoon Network, and many others. It is greatly used by large-scale companies and expert levels use such as television projects. StudiioBinder is not affordable for small companies and you can go for the free plan for educational purposes.
- Pre-production planning solution: With StudioBinder screenwriting software, you can write your script natively within StudioBinder’s complete pre-production planning solution. From script to shooting schedules, shot lists, breakdown reports, and more all in one writing and production planning solution. Plus StudioBinder lets you start pre-production earlier so you can plan your shoot faster, and with total clarity.
- Industry-standard format: StudioBinder screenwriting software auto-formats margins, fonts, and screenplay elements to industry standards. Plus includes predictive features like auto-complete, keyboard shortcuts, and auto-save let you focus on what counts like storytelling, not formatting and software steps. With its clean interface and easy-to-use toolbar, it’s script writing software that stays out of the way so writers at every experience level can get the job done faster.
- Convert scripts from other software: StudioBinder screenwriting software takes the stress out of file format conversion. With this tool, you can script in Final Draft or Fountain, a PDF or Word doc, or any screenplay software file, and just import it into StudioBinder and continue writing.
- Create and organize screenplay version: You can easily organize revisions and drafts the right way and with maximum efficiency with automatic industry-standard color coding and a sidebar to access your versions.
- Lead with creativity: StudioBinder screenwriting software is completely free to everyone. It allows you to create as many projects as you like and write as many pages as you like without any limitations. It provides all-in-one production features and is considered the best screenwriting software period.
- It allows you to write script, make notes, storyboard, share work, get feedback from department heads, and schedule the entire production
- It includes the ability to make call sheets (and send them), creates shot lists and storyboards, makes schedules, DOOD reports, etc
- Easy to use with an intuitive layout and offers an impressive range of tools that can certainly be considered one of the best serious production tools
- This app is best for sending call sheets and has been steadily increasing in capabilities
- Allows you to give and receive notes as you write, and share your work any way you want including view, comment, and edit access
StudioBinder offers a free version and comes with 2 subscription plans for individuals and professionals:
- Indie plan costs $29/mo and includes 10 projects, 50GB file storage
- Professional plan costs $49/mo and includes 25 projects, 75GB filer storage
- Studio plan costs $99/mo and includes unlimited projects, 100GB file storage
- Agency plan costs $249/mo
- Production Company costs $399/mo
- Enterprize Plan starts at $1499/mo
KIT Scenarist is a program for creating screenplays which oriented at international standards in the field of film production. It allows the user to write and edit their screenplay without ever having to leave their plain text editor of choice. The concept of KIT Scenarist was designed with comfort in mind, as the creation and editing process should be as painless as possible for the creator.
It is a free and open-source software and is used by 10000 authors, issued more than 70 versions of the program. Kit Scenarist is compatible with 5 platforms such as Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, and Android. Basically, this screenwriting software is great for high-level script writing and highly suitable for writers in multiple languages. KIT Scenarist version for desktop computers is free and open Source software, which means free distribution and the possibility of free use by users around the world.
KIT Scenarist Features:
- Research module: The research module of the program is designed so that you can collect all the necessary materials for the project in one place. Plus, you can save basic information about the script, such as its name, synopsis, and also fill in the title page of the script. You can also store a variety of materials such as text documents, images, links to web pages, and mind maps associated with your project, organizing them in a convenient manner.
- Cards: The card module allows you to look at the script in the form of cards spread out on the board, thus providing a visual way to work with the structure. Plus you can arrange the cards on the board in rows, or in columns. You can color them, make notes, group and lay out the acts, and all changes will instantly appear in the text of the script and vice versa.
- Screenplay: The script editor will allow you to think only about the story itself. The module also includes a navigator for the script, which greatly simplifies navigation through the text. You can easily write in your native language, save and load on it simply!
- Statistics: The statistics module provides an opportunity to get detailed reports on the script, as well as to see the graphs of the characters’ activity throughout the script and the dynamics of the scenes so that not a single trifle escapes from you. The program supports three chronometry systems such by pages, by symbols, and flexible one, so, you can set up its calculation in the way that suits you best. Plus you can save the reports and send them to the producer or to the production company.
- Friendly: The program can export scripts in the formats PDF, FDX, Fountain and even DOCX.It includes advanced export settings that allow you to automatically add the scenes, dialogues, or pages numbers, create a title page, and correct text on the page breaks. The app will automatically determine the formatting of each block, and in two minutes you will be able to work on it, without wasting time on debilitating formatting. Import supports the formats FDX, Fountain, DOCX, ODT, Trelby and Celtx.
- Kit Scenarist is very easy for a writer to use without the use any instructions and acts a visual self explanatory program
- The program is a full-featured studio for creating stories from the birth of the idea and before the transfer of the script to production
- With just two buttons Tab and Enter, it greatly speed up your productivity with the help of the algorithm for fast changing the format of the paragraph
- KIT Scenarist allows you to manage lists of characters and locations and create new ones, add descriptions, photos, rename and organize them
- Allows you to use dark or light theme, and the dark theme is suitable for working in dark rooms and the light theme is convenient with sufficient light
KIT Scenarist Pricing:
KIT Scenarist is a free screenwriting software available around the world. Mobile versions of the program are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android.
Highland screenwriting software is another best screenwriting software program that allows you to convert your word into a properly-formatted professional script. Moreover, many produced screenplays are written in Highland. Highland is a formatting tool that takes in the Fountain file and exports it to Final Draft or PDF. Plus, it allows you to write one with formatting and allows you to write it anywhere such as GoogleDocs, and NotePad. Highland converts Final Draft and screenplay PDFs to editable text.
Highland 2 is an excellent screenwriting software for Mac users, bloggers, and individuals and provides shortcuts for screenwriters and blog editors who are new to this field.
Highland 2 Features:
- The Navigator: It allows you to drag and drop scenes and sections to re-order in a snap. Moreover, a road map of your sections, scenes, synopses, and notes.
- The Bin: It includes a magical shelf to hold bits of text you want to keep handy. Plus, if you have alternate versions of a scene, sentence, or section, cut or copy it to the Bin.
- Live Margins: Highland automatically indents dialogue and character cues. Plus, see the shape of your script right in the editor without getting lost in formatting.
- Revision Mode: With this best screenwriting software, you can track changes in different colors and stars in the margin. The colors and stars appear in the editor and can be added to your exported PDF.
- Gender Analysis: Highland 2 was the first screenwriting app to include Gender Analysis. It allows you to track the gender breakdown of speaking parts in your script. Plus, it also lets you explore what would happen if you flipped the gender of a given character.
- An amazing tool built for writing screenplays and made them work for almost every kind of document you write such as from novels to blog posts and school reports
- Highland’s clean design and innovative tools help you focus on words, not formatting
- Easy to use and provides the ability to take old scripts in PDF format and convert them into editable documents as well as output them to Final Draft
- Highland converts .fdx into versatile .highland and back again, making collaboration simple
- With the free version it offers 5 PDF templates, two built-in editor themes and much more
- Pro upgrade allows you to design your own themes and provides plenty of keyboard shortcuts
Highland 2 Pricing:
Highland 2 offers a free version, but if you are looking for enhanced features go for the paid version costs $49.99. For more information, contact the vendor.
If you are serious about filmmaking, screenwriting software is the best solution that removes a lot of the legwork of formatting, analysis, and change-tracking to help writers get down to the business of writing. But how to handle basic formatting and help your script be tight and balanced?
Using the best screenwriting software programs you can dominate the market with better templates, automatic formatting options, collaboration tools, and various other import and export features. If you are a professional screenwriter, you can make things easier and produce a formatted, error-free, clean, and pitch-ready script. Personally, I would suggest you use Final Draft which is used by most film & television industries.
Want to start writing your next screenplay? Here, is the complete list of the best software for writing screenplays. Thank you for reading this article. If you have any questions, leave them in the comment section below! Am I missing any screenwriting software? Please don’t forget to suggest more!