If you are in the legal profession, you probably have more than enough things to look after. With all the stacked-up work, it is very difficult to take care of the business side of your profession. That’s not only you, most of the advocates face the same issue. This is where Legal case management software comes in. With the best case management software, you can easily run your business.
The best case management software offers functionalities that allow you to track time for billing, assembling case documents, scheduling, and many more case management features. The software also provides a calendar, communication channel, contact, and docket management for better legal case management. Here in this blog, you can find some of the best case management software to seamlessly run your business.
No matter how big or small your law firm currently is, I have listed down case management software that suits businesses of every size. Read the blog thoroughly to know about its functionalities, features, and pricing, to decide which legal case management software suits you the best.
What Are The Best Case Management Software Of 2023?
Practice Panther All-In-One Software
Zola Suite Editor's Choice
Complete Business Accounting
Firm Central All-In-one software
Time and Billing
Rocket Matter BEst For Project Management
Legal Project Management
Filevine User's choice
Reporting and Business Analytics
Time and Expense Tracking
Bill4time Affordable Option
Billing and Invoicing
Cilo Popular Choice
What Is Legal Case Management Software?
Speaking of Legal Case Management Software, the software is a digital tool that is used by law firms to manage clients, and their legal cases and to keep all the cases organized. The best case management software helps firms to streamline the workflow, smoothen the billing process, track time and manage documents.
Accounting, scheduling, time tracking, and other aspects of legal case administration are all covered. All of these capabilities will help you run your practice more efficiently, improve cash flow management, and facilitate case cooperation. This will allow you to devote more time to projects that will generate revenue for your law firm.
Complete List Of The Best Case Management Software
Featuring on the top of our list of the best legal case management software, Practice Panther is an all-in-one digital solution to manage your cases and streamline your workflow. This is the best case management software for lawyers that suits small and medium law firms and it is also great for solo practices as it provides all the necessary tools and tutorials to manage legal cases.
Case Management, document management, built-in CRM software, and 256-bit military-grade encryption are a few of the features of this legal case management tool, that allows you to easily manage your contacts, cases, and information.
Practice Panther Features
- Case Management: You can sync your contacts, documents, calendar, time entries, and tasks to the cloud with Practice Panther. You can access all of your data from any location and on any device. You can automate activities like onboarding new clients, processing payments, and more using this case management software. You can utilize ready-to-use templates and watch as tasks and events are created for you automatically.
- Document Management: Managing important documents of your cases is rather an easy job with Practice Panther. Practice panther allows you to go paperless to give you better flexibility. With the digital documents provided by this best case management software, you can access crucial information from anywhere. It comes with Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and box.com integrations that allow you to effortlessly share important documents with your co-workers or clients.
- Legal Billing: Payment transfers, invoicing, and time tracking is all made easier using Practice Panther’s automated systems. It enables you to develop and batch generate customized invoices for a wide range of clients. Practice panther is fully compliant with IOLTA, ABA, and state bar guidelines for legal payments, so you don’t need to worry about anything else. It also provides custom reports to enable you to see which cases are bringing in more cash so you can set a better business strategy.
- Calendaring: Missing appointments or deadlines are bad for your business as it makes you look unprofessional. Practice Panther allows you to sync your calendar with Google calendar, Outlook, and other colleagues’ and firm calendars. You can invite clients to book appointments and meetings directly, instead of using apps like Calendly. You can also sync your PracticePanther account with LawToolBox. Instantly import court deadlines with our court rule sets, then watch as your deadlines and events are automatically scheduled for you.
- Legal CRM: With the built-in CRM software, Practice Panther helps you to grow better relationships with your clients while reducing non-billable hours effectively. When a client reaches your firm, be it physically or through your website, you can collect their information through automated client intake forms. It allows you to prevent communication issues with regular interaction and document sharing through a protected two-way messaging portal. You can also book meetings and send an automated email or SMS reminders.
- Security: Practice Panther keeps your information secure with 256-bit military-grade encryption. The moment you log in, all the data is transmitted using encryption. It allows you to enable only selected IP addresses to access sensitive information. With these features, Practice Panther makes sure that you’re confidential data don’t get exposed to any unwanted individual.
Practice Panther Pricing
Practice Panther provides flexible pricing for law firms of different sizes. It also offers a free trial to try its features.
Solo Plan: $39/user/month
- Internal Chat
- Real-Time Notifications
- Native ePayments with PantherPayments
- Daily Agenda Email
- Document Templates
- Task & Event Workflows
Essential Plan: $59/user/month
- Everything in SOLO
- Custom Fields
- Custom Security Roles
- Invoice Read Alerts
- Multiple Bank Accounts
Business Plan: $79/user/month
- Everything in ESSENTIAL
- Native 2-Way Texting
- Intake Forms
- Native eSignature (Unlimited sends)
- Flat Fee Reporting
- Attorney Revenue Report
- Free Data Migration
- LEDES Billing
Complete Business Accounting
Zola Suite is a powerful legal case management solution with a slew of powerful features that help you streamline your workflow and avoid the hazards of shaky workarounds. Its built-in main functionalities are platform-native, removing the need for cumbersome integrations. To produce invoices, share files with clients, and send emails, you simply need to use one set of login credentials and manage one simple dashboard.
The system also has outstanding matter management capabilities, with all critical data saved on a single dashboard that you, your staff, and your clients can access. A calendar management feature is included in its utility tools to keep things nice and organized.
Zola Suite Features
- Matter management: Matter dashboards with custom fields, user access limitations, and advanced notes and communication tracking are all available in Zola Suite.
- Intelligent Email: The Zola Suite includes a native email client that connects to case-related contacts and files in the relevant matter.
- Contact Management: For better contact management, the Zola suite includes advanced filters and the ability to add custom fields.
- Built-in CRM: You can easily manage your leads, track referrals, acquire leads filed directly from your website, and exchange intake forms with prospects using the built-in CRM software of this top legal case management software.
- Complete Business Accounting: Zola Suite handles all of your accounting so that you may focus completely on your legal practice. You can use this software to print checks, write journal entries, and batch process payments. More than 5000 institutions’ bank and credit card activity can be downloaded.
Zola Suite Pricing
Zola suite offers 3 paid plans for users to choose from.
Core Plan: $59/user/month
- Built-In Email
- Document Management
- Task Management
- Contact Management
- Client Portal
Enterprise Plan: $79/user/month
- Includes everything in our Core Plan
- Unlimited Document Storage
- Productivity Tracking
- CRM and Intake Management Tools
- Enhanced Accounting Features
Enterprise Plus Plan: $89/user/month
- Includes everything in our Enterprise Plan
- Custom Permissions
- Advanced Document Management
- Department Based Accounting
TimeSolv is one of the best legal case management software that is preferred by lawyers and advocates to keep track of time and correlated costs. The customizable software is user-friendly and comprehensive. TimeSolv can easily work with recent and legacy platforms like Windows. macOS, Android, or iPhone.
Apart from time tracking and billing, TimeSolv integrates with major payment gateways along with credit card services. It grants clients an online portal from where they can easily make payments and check transaction history with your law firm. It also seamlessly integrates with QuickBooks and other major third-party applications.
- Time Tracking: TimeSolv comes with an in-built time tracking too, that you can use from anywhere and from any device. To enter hours in TimeSolv, go to the Time tab at the top of the page, select the Time Entry dropdown, enter the required information (such as the number of hours and rate), and then click Save & New.
- Expense Tracking: You can create expense entries straight from TimeSolv’s expense dashboard. The expenditure dashboard, like the TimeSolve time tracking dashboard, allows you to categorize entries by client and topic matter. The expenses might also be tagged with an expense code from the American Bar Association. This functionality allows you to simply bill expenses to the correct client.
- Invoicing: Depending on your membership, TimeSolv offers a variety of billing templates. When it comes to charging clients, you have the option of splitting bills, batching invoices, or choosing set prices. They can also choose to have invoices sent out on a schedule for recurring billings. The invoices can be issued to the client online from within the TimeSolv platform.
- Payments: TimeSolv offers a built-in payment solution, TimeSolv Pay, it helps you easily process credit card and automated clearing house payments from your clients. It keeps a record of all the payment information, which allows you to keep track of every transaction. This case management software also contains a secure client portal that enables your clients to see and track their payments and deposits.
- Reporting: You can create a variety of reports with TimeSolv, including time and expenditure reports, accounting reports, and matter-related reports. Time entries, time entry summaries, expense entries, and missing time are all examples of time and expense reports. Accounts receivable and ledger entries are included in accounting reports. Reports on invoice summaries, aged summaries, cash receipts, and payment histories are also available.
TimeSolv provides 3 paid plans depending on the number of users.
- For 1-4 Users: $35.96/user/month
- For 5-14 Users: $31.46/user/month
- For 15+ Users: $26.96/user/month
Built by Thomson Reuters, Firm Central is one of the best legal case management software for small firms. It is a straightforward case management software that integrates with several Thomson Reuters products like Westlaw, HighQ, etc. You can use Firm Central to manage cases, clients, documents, payments, and many other matters to reduce your workload.
It also allows you to book or schedule meeting with your clients with a few clicks as it can easily sync with your calendar. Although the legal case management software is really a high-end one, if you don’t use Westlaw or any other products of Thomson Reuters product, you’re unlikely of using the software to its full capacity.
Firm Central Features
- Case Management: Firm Central allows you to manage client files, deadlines, tasks, documents, and other stuff from your devices. You can easily find everything you need from its centralized and secure interface. It allows you to manage all of your matters and contacts in one safe spot, expedite client intake, file and save documents, and use its sophisticated global search to quickly find what you need.
- Time and billing: Firm Central Time & Billing enables you to efficiently track all of your time and expenses, track Trust Account activities, generate reports, customize invoices, and get paid faster. From its financial dashboard and reports, you can get real-time insight into the financials of your firm and make data-driven decisions.
- Accounting: With this best legal case management software you don’t need to get any external accounting software. With fully integrated trust and business accounting software created exclusively for law firms, all parts of your practice can be managed in one secure, comprehensive platform.
- Calendaring: Firm Central reduces the risk of calendaring errors to provide speed and efficiency to your firm. It comes with an effective legal calendaring tool, called Deadline Assistant, it is a secure, web-based program that calculates deadlines for your case based on Westlaw legal calendaring rules – or your own custom rule templates – using your jurisdiction’s regulations. The information is then added to your Firm Central and Microsoft Outlook calendars.
Firm Central Pricing
Firm Central provides flexible pricing for different needs.
Core Plan: $40/user/month
- The core plan includes:
- Client, matter, document, and task management
- Matter-level calendar that syncs with Outlook and other web calendars
- Secure client portal
- Document indexing and KeyCite flag markup powered by Westlaw
- Custom forms automation
- Customizable homepage and matter and contact fields
- 24/7 customer support
Essential Plan: $65/user/month
- with Time & Billing
- Includes all the features of the Core plan, plus:
- Time & expense tracking
- Custom invoicing
- Trust accounting
- Multiple billing rates and fee types
- One-click invoicing
Premier Plan: $105/user/month
- with Time & Billing and Deadline Assistant
- Includes all the features of the Essential plan, plus:
- Rules-based legal deadline calculation
- Access to court rule authority on Westlaw
- Automatic alerts and updates to court rules affecting your matters
- Advanced deadline customization capabilities
- Create custom events and rules sets
- View legal deadlines in 3rd party calendars
Essentials With Accounting: $102/user/month
- Includes all of the features of the Essentials plan plus fully integrated business accounting software:
- Accounts Receivable
- Accounts Payable
- Chart of Accounts
- Check writing
- Permissions for access control
Premier with Accounting: $142/user/month
- with Time & Billing and Deadline Assistant and Accounting
- Includes all of the features of the Premier plan plus fully integrated business accounting software:
- Accounts Receivable
- Accounts Payable
- Chart of Accounts
- Check writing
- Permissions for access control
Legal Project Management
Rocket Matter is a cloud-based legal case management software that is highly regarded by legal practitioners. If you are looking for software that enables you to go paperless, does better trust accounting, and can help you to generate more revenue, Rocket matter could be the best legal practice management software for you.
With its robust set of features, Rocket matter grants you complete control over your law firm business by optimizing your billing process, allowing you to work from anywhere and get paid swiftly, letting your clients book an appointment, and keeping you up with your schedules, etc. With its easy-to-use interface, you can access all the important information like documents, billable activity, tasks, and emails from one single place. Rocket matter also allows you to see a visual stat of all of your cases with Kanban boards.
Rocket Matter Features
- Time Tracking: Rocket Matter lets users manage their time and billing while keeping track of all of their cases. Rocket Matter’s timers allow you to pause the timer if you are interrupted, then resume it when you are allowed to start again. Rocket Matter’s various timers make it simple to keep track of the time spent on each case. It allows you to keep track of billable time and expenses directly from your Outlook account.
- Legal Billing: With this best legal case management software, the billing process becomes the easiest part of your business. The software contains a time and expense tracking tool, LEDs billing, an online payments option, and so on. You can process several invoices simultaneously while you perform other tasks with Rocket Matter. It also allows you to schedule automatic electronic prebills to save time.
- Legal Calendar: Rocket Matter provides legal calendar software to keep you always organized and prepared for your upcoming tasks. It allows you to seamlessly create, assign, track and update tasks. You even have the ability to automatically generate a specific set of predetermined tasks for each new matter. You can filter tasks to see which tasks are pending and completed.
- Legal Project Management: Rocket Matter has project management features that help you stay on budget at all times. With its project management software like capabilities, you can give your clients a better experience while maintaining your firm’s consistency. The legal management tools are integrated with Rocket Matter’s internal messaging platform, which sends you notifications on your phone when the status of your case changes. To get a better picture of your true expenses, break complicated scenarios down into phases with repeatable actions.
- Legal Trust Accounting: Rocket Matter’s legal trust accounting software makes it simple to balance accounts, stay compliant, and run a more efficient firm. If you are handling multiple cases for a single client, Rocket matter provides you with an option to create several trust accounts for each of their cases and easily transfer funds between them. You may add details to all line items and deposits in Rocket Matter. You can also enter LEDES codes and other data to assist you in meeting your specific needs.
Rocket Matter Pricing
Rocket Matter provides a 15-day free trial to try its functions. To get this case management software, you can choose from its 3 paid plans.
Essentials Plan: $39/user/month
- Matter Management
- Time and Billing
- Online Payments
- Trust Accounting
- Conflict Checks
- Document Storage
- Contacts and Calendaring
Pro Plan: $59/user/month
- Everything in Essentials
- Advanced Customizations
- Sophisticated Reporting
- Matter Templates
- Document Assembly
- Client Portal
- Integration with Outlook, Quickbooks, and Dozens of Other Applications
- Advanced Billing with Interest, Discount, and Taxes
- 2-Way Document Sharing
- E-Signature (envelopes not included)
Premier Plan: $89/user/month
- Everything in Pro
- Role Permissions
- Insurance Defense
- Paperless Prebills
- Automated Billing
- Business Intelligence Module
- ImagineShare Integration
Reporting and Business Analytics
Time and Expense Tracking
Built on AWS, Filevine is a highly customizable legal case management software that helps your firm to manage cases, matters, investigations, and projects. The enterprise-grade case management software reshapes itself to suit your firm. You can get Filevine to provide your firm with security, reliability, and speed.
Filevine allows multiple users, so you can get your whole firm on board with a single account. Apart from task and deadline management, Filevine seamlessly integrates with 200+ third-party apps to provide you with maximum flexibility.
- Case Management: You may decentrally access all case-related data, documents, notes, tasks, and correspondence with Filevine. You can also automate routine procedures, tasks, reminders, and deadlines. Use the activity stream to keep track of tasks in real-time, engage with clients, and get context. To control access and assign tasks, create roles and permissions.
- Lead Capture: You can use Filevine to develop client intake forms that are specific to your firm’s needs. Follow-up actions and conversations that are required to convert potential clients can be automated. Display tasks and track lead volume over time, lead sources, revenue by source, and conversion rate on the dashboard.
- Contracts: To manage the full contract lifecycle, Filevine offers automatic approval workflows, version control, custom alarms, and real-time editing. You may build legally binding contracts quickly by using dynamic templates with conditional logic. Self-service templates allow you to create custom contracts, letters, and draughts in mass. Transfer legacy contracts with collected metadata quickly and easily, and keep track of legal requirements via dashboard snapshots.
- Reporting and Business Analytics: Filevine creates reports on tasks, notes, time entries, and calendar events, among other things. When reports are needed, set up automated distribution. Learn about top performers, productivity, training opportunities, task completion rates, cumulative actions taken, and more using data. Any circumstance or factor can be used to expand or limit report results.
- Time and Expense Tracking: WithFilevine you can track time from anywhere. It allows you to set tailored hourly rates and set default rates for your daily expenses. You can also implement custom templates to streamline expense tracking.
There is no clear pricing information available on Filevine’s official website. To know about its pricing plans you need to contact the vendor.
Bill4time is a legal time tracking and billing software that you can use for your legal case management. The software comes with all the best-in-class tools to assist you in your case management. You can implement the software for time tracking, billing, accounting, invoicing, and many more. Along with all these core features, Bill4time also offers practice management features like document management, legal calendar, and contact management.
If you are in search of affordable and easy-to-use legal case management software for your law firms, then Bill4time is just the best option for you.
- Time and Expense Tracking: Bill4time is capable of recording both billable and non-billable hours. The timers can be found throughout the platform, including on the dashboard, in the top toolbar, and in the Time and Expenses module. You may use Bill4Time to track time in the browser or on any mobile device. Multiple time entries can be recorded on the same screen, and timers can be set to run at the same time.
- Billing and Invoicing: Bill4Time has features that make the billing and invoicing process go faster. Both hourly and flat fee billing rates are supported by Bill4Time. You can make billable activity and expense types, as well as specify unique rates for each. This standardizes your legal firm’s billing process and allows members of your firm to bill for services delivered swiftly.
- Online Payments: You may electronically collect payments from your clients with Bill4Time. Lawpay, Paypal, and Stripe are all integrated into Bill4Time. All major credit cards are accepted, and usual payment processing fees apply.
- Mobile Apps: Bill4time has Android and iOS mobile apps that allow you to access your data and do critical functions from anywhere. You may access client and project details, call or email clients, follow your growth, track time and expenses, and much more with its mobile applications.
Bill4time provides a14 day free trial to have a look into its robust set of features. After the trial of this best Legal Case Management software, you can choose from its 3 paid plans.
Time and Billing: $27/user/month
- Client Portal
- Payment Processing
- Mobile & Desktop Apps
- Automatic Updates
- Encrypted Backup
- Document Management
Legal Pro: $45/user/month
- All Features of Time & Billing
- Contingency Billing
- Box Integration
- UTBMS Codes
- LEDES Exporting
- Evergreen Retainers
- Trust Accounting
- Conflict Checking
- Basic Data Import
- Invoice Cover Letter
Legal Enterprise: $80/user/month
- All Features of Legal Pro
- Advanced-Data Import
- Custom LEDES Export
- Customizable Data Fields
- Custom Invoice Templates
- Custom Reports
- Dedicated Account Manager
Clio Manage is a law practice management software that is both powerful and user-friendly (LPMS). It’s an open platform that fosters and invites integration. One of its major assets is this. Clio has a large App Directory as well as an Open API. It functions and plays well with a bewildering quantity of legal technology. It’s also a component of the Clio Suite as a whole. As a result, you can seamlessly integrate Clio Grow (an intake CRM) for an extra fee.
Through a user-friendly structure that ensures vital files are logically presented and easily accessed, the online platform helps you simplify matter administration. Information management, documentation, client and case management, appointments and scheduling, office financials and accounting, time-tracking, and reporting are all made easier with the system. Clio integrates with more than 70 business apps, providing you with a powerful integrated platform that works with popular accounting, email, online storage, payment gateways, databases, and other software and services.
- Case Management: With Clio, the best legal case management software free, you can easily receive an overview of all case details from a single dashboard. To make your legal firm administration activities run as smoothly as possible, you may link all of your contacts, documents, calendar events, notes, and time entries to the proper case. Use a PC or a mobile app to work on your cases. Improve your workflow and spend less time on tedious activities so you can focus on the things that matter in your legal firm.
- Document Management: Cilo provides unrestricted storage for thousands of documents, photos, audio, and video files. You may upload and download entire folders of documents in bulk, and all of your data is automatically backed up. Cilo’s global search can be used to find a document based on terms found in the title, text, or metadata. Custom categories, folders, authors, and dates can all be used to filter and sort files.
- Client Management: Cilo’s client management features can help you keep track of clients, witnesses, outside counsel, vendors, and more. You may receive a rapid overview of your legal firm’s contacts and clients with Cilo. Their cases, records, transactions, and bills are all visible. You can also keep track of a client’s previous interactions with them via email or phone. You can use its conflict checker to search your whole database of clients and contacts for any potential conflicts of interest.
- Trust Accounting: With its legal trust accounting software, Cilo allows you to manage client funds. You can run client ledger reports and generate client statements of accounts using built-in legal trust account reports to see all accounts and transactions linked with a client. Track trust and operational accounts with Clio’s trust accounting software, as mandated by legal industry regulations. View all transactions associated with a matter or customer, regardless of whether they are from a trust or an operational account.
Cilo offers a 7-day free trial to try its features. If you want to get this best legal case management software, you can get it by signing up for any of its 4 paid plans.
EasyStart Plan: $39/user/month
- Accurately track time and expenses. Bill hourly, flat fee, or contingency.
- Make it easy for clients to pay online using credit, debit, or eCheck (US).
- Manage cases, tasks, documents, and calendars, all in one place.
- Work smarter with e-signatures, plus Outlook and Gmail integrations.
Essentials Plan: $69/user/month
- Everything in EasyStart and…
- Securely communicate and collaborate with clients, from anywhere.
- Add templates and auto-fill documents using case and custom data.
- Customize automated workflows, and track court deadlines with reminders.
- Connect Clio to 200+ apps including QuickBooks, Zoom, and more.
Advanced Plan: $99/user/month
- Everything in Essentials and…
- Manage staff workload and bottlenecks with increased task detail.
- Gain insights on case profitability, billing contributions, and more.
- Help more clients with fast document searches and unlimited e-signatures.
- Get live onboarding sessions and training, with priority support.
Complete Plan: $129/user/month
- Everything in Advanced and…
- Clio Grow ($49/user value)
- Prevent missed opportunities with a streamlined client intake process.
- Deliver an effortless client experience with online appointment bookings.
- Save time on repetitive tasks with automated intake forms and emails.
- Optimize your marketing dollars with referral source reporting.
Final Takeaway On The Best Legal Case Management Tool
If you are starting a small law firm, you should get all the possible help to run your small business. Running a law firm is not an easy task, with a small team it’s even harder, that’s why you should get the best case management system to help you manage your cases and makes sure that you make a profit.
I have personally tried and tested all the best paid and free legal case management software listed and above. After testing the software I can say that Practice Panther and Zoho suite can certainly help you run your law firm seamlessly by managing the business of your legal profession. You can also check for the other software as well and see which one is the best case management software for you.
If you have found this blog helpful, you can always leave a comment in the comment box, Your comment may encourage me to write more similar articles. If you have any suggestions regarding the best legal case management software, do let me know.