Passwords aren’t good enough for securing your profiles from people who want to harm you on a technological level and cash out all the private information you may carry in them. Malicious attacks against governments, companies, and individuals are more and more common. And there are no signs that the hacks, data breaches, and other forms of cybercrime are slowing down! Online sites and apps must offer tighter security. And, whenever possible, consumers should get in the habit of protecting themselves with something that’s stronger than just a password. For many, that extra level of security is two factor authentication.
What Is Two Factor Authentication (2FA)?
Two Factor Authentication is the security process that cross-verify user identity with two different identification like email, OTP etc. 2FA provides an extra layer of security to make sure that users trying to get access to the data is an authorized one.
With growing involvement with the digital world, internet users are more prone to the cyber attack. Government, individual user, Enterprises have become an easy target for hackers. Data breach, unauthorized access is very common these days with modern hacking tools.
Two-Factor Authentication, also known as 2FA is basically a type of multi-factor authentication. More clearly speaking, it is an extra layer of security that protects your online data from hackers.
What are authentication factors?
There can be many different ways in which a person can be authenticated the most common way are passwords which provided utmost security, but are now turning vulnerable.
- A Knowledge factor is something that the user already knows like his or credentials or passwords
- A Possession factor is something that the user has like ID, security pins, mobile phones, etc.
- An Inherence factor is what links the user’s physical These may be personal attributes mapped from physical characteristics, such as fingerprints authenticated through a fingerprint reader.
How does two-factor authentication work?
To understand what real two-factor authentication looks like, we need to revisit the concept of a factor. A password fits the definition we gave above, for instance, but for our purposes, we want to think of it in more abstract terms: it’s something you know. This explains why knowledge-based authentication doesn’t represent real 2FA; you’re just backing up something you know with something else you know. In essence, the answer to your security question is just another password, and subject to all the same weaknesses
As the name suggests that 2FA requires a user to verify his or her identity twice whereas MFA( Multi-Factor Authentication) tests your identity with multiple factors like biometric, face recognition, time, location, and several others.
MFA is triggered by any improper behavior by the user which is detected and then brought down by the company as to hide its most classified information.
Why do you need two factor authentication?
Criminals on a cyber level have an array of expertise and experience to test millions of passwords and so making profiles much more vulnerable. Making sure that your password is not the only wall that’s keeping them away, 2fa can be of great help to protect your private information from getting tormented.
Two-factor authentication keeps attackers at bay, even when they’ve successfully penetrated through elements of your single-factor authentication: username and password. Since the second factor is generally something you have, it’s difficult for a cybercriminal to lay their hands on it, resulting in better account protection.
- SECURITY: Anyone can become an easy target to attackers if the passwords and not that complex or any major mixture of alphabets and signs are not present. So, biometrics are added to the stream so that another layer of protection is added.
- EASE OF USE: With the growing authentication processes coming down the lane and people becoming lazier, try to ‘cut corners’ and go along with easier passwords and the usage of them in multiple accounts. In that case, a 2FA can be useful as the user does not have to go through sometimes unreliable and inconvenient biometrics verification.
Types Of Two Factor Authentication
- SMS 2FA: The option of SMS 2fa is considered one of the best ways as the authentication validated by the user and the consumption of time and involvement of tech that can hamper information is very less. It provides a significant step up in account security relative to just a username and password. However, some of the disadvantages include the fear of loss of a piece of potentially identifying information, and even the contacts have taken are used for advertising, remarketing, conversion tracking, etc.
Furthermore, you won’t be able to login if your cell isn’t properly connected to the network, also, it’s often possible for an attacker to trick your phone company into assigning your phone number to a different SIM card, allowing them to receive your 2FA codes.
- Authenticator App: These are mobile-based applications which play another key factor in making 2fa an easier process to get used to. Its functions by providing phone numbers with OTPs(one-time password) that they might require to process a valuable piece of information. Google authenticator, free OTP are some options that can be used in such scenarios.
Two factor authentication (2FA) can be considered to be the best when it comes to the protection of vital information which can cause major harm if leaked. moreover, people need the understand the use of 2fa and to rely on the methods that are directed to be used. The need to protect personal info from a cyber thief is most important considering both 2fa and MFA as a shield against such happenings.
👉 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/therebellink
👉 Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rebellink2
👉 Pinterest: https://in.pinterest.com/Rebellink_Team/
👉 LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/rebellink
👉 VK: https://vk.com/rebellink
👉 Telegram: https://t.me/joinchat/VxD6zfwbnV0QJ2r8
👉 Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_rebellink/?hl=en
👉 Discord: https://discord.gg/C7MgGe7AnD